One of the oldest clubs in the Midwest and the oldest in Michigan, Kent Country Club dates back to a Saturday evening in 1896. On that evening, successful Grand Rapids businessman Edward Lowe invited his brother, Rowland, and ten friends to dinner to tell them about a wonderful game he had played in England. These gentleman formed the original nine-hole Grand Rapids Golf Club in an open field at the Corner of Wealthy Street and Plymouth Avenue in East Grand Rapids. About 15 years later, outgrowing the original site, the Golf Club moved to its current location at the turn on the 20th century where the founders of Kent Country Club had successfully introduced golf to West Michigan. They took pride in having a challenging Donald Ross course, built a fine clubhouse and hosted the best players in the nation, including the President of the United States. But that was merely the beginning...today, over 120 years later, the rich traditions and member’s commitment to the club continues.
Today, Kent is still one of the premier private country clubs in the Midwest. The first golf club in West Michigan has evolved into a sanctuary for generations of families who appreciate and value a history of tradition and excellence. Today, the Club’s membership, often referred to as “The Kent Family”, treasures family fun surrounding almost any occasion. With its simple elegance, sophistication and eye for tradition, Kent Country Club has become a “home away from home” for its members.